Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 February 2011

LDWA Debut

Attended my eagerly awaited debut meeting of the Cornwall & Devon Group LDWA at Bovey Tracey (after getting lost driving over Dartmoor, great start). Met Hazel who introduced me to a whole host of people who's names I duly forgot immediatly.
There was a great deal of discussion about the forthcoming Camel-Teign 100, forthcoming in 2013 that is. This is a challenge which I think happens once a year and is hosted by a different group every time. I believe that to participate (and it is well subscribed), you have to have qualified by walking a recognised walk of 50 miles. I should have plenty of time to do that before the 2013 date.
This assocciation sounds like just the right group to help me in my quest to walk L.E.J.O.G.L.E.
I've made a date to join the group at a walk in East Devon/West Somerset on the 13th February of about 22 miles, sounds like a long way, hope I'm up to it. Could be a little embarrassing if I cannot finish it for some reason. Hopefully I will be travelling up with a couple of people from Liskeard, if they get in touch that is.
I definitely need to pick the brains of an experienced long distance walker on the merits or not of a GPS system. They are very expensive and the cost escalates when you need to buy SD map cards. I'm sure that there will be people amongst the group who would be willing to pass on the knowledge they have acquired over the years.
Lets hope so for my sake.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried the gadget show to see if they would have you as a field tester for this equipment? Also manufacturers and their advertisers to see if they would loan equipment for an endorsement (you might need a few pairs of boots !)
    all the best
    Dave

    ReplyDelete